Streetsport is a non-profit ‘prevention, intervention and diversionary tactics initiative’ based at RGU SPORT Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen that actively reduces instances of youth crime and anti-social behaviour.
Established in 2006 we deliver free weekly sports & creative activity sessions for young people throughout Aberdeen City. We deploy mobile activity arenas directly into local communities and operate during peak times of anti-social behaviour.
Streetsport is supported and endorsed by our Patron Denis Law and operates under the auspices of the Denis Law Legacy Trust – Scottish Charity No. SC 043169.
Supporting & empowering young people to be confident, capable, independent and responsible citizens within their communities.
The overall aim of our activities is to ‘reduce instances of youth crime and anti-social behaviour; promote health and wellbeing and encourage inclusivity through sport, physical activity and creative endeavour’.
- To provide community based events and activities that are free of charge and accessible to all.
- To promote participation, social inclusion & integration.
- To motivate and empower young people through prevention, intervention & diversionary activities.
- To promote respect, civic values and social responsibility within communities and help reduce instances of youth crime and anti-social behaviour.
- To promote health and well-being and discourage the misuse of substances, drugs and alcohol.
- To promote education and creativity and the development of self-confidence, initiative and interpersonal skills.
- To support & reconnect disaffected young people by providing alternative activities and opportunities for achievement.
- To provide a platform for positive transformation.
- To provide volunteers with opportunities to engage with and pursue personal development activities and qualifications.
- To work in partnership and collaborate with all parties who share our common objectives for the benefit of communities and young people.
Find out more about our Team and Steering Group Members.
THE KINGS 10 GOALS
Our 10 objectives are inspired by Denis’ famous number 10 shirt:
- Participation & Inclusion
- Prevention, Intervention & Diversion
- Social Responsibility
- Health & Wellbeing
- Education & Creativity
- Support & Opportunity
- Positive Transformation
- Partnership & Collaboration